Thursday, July 18, 2013

Honesty - Wow what a policy !!!

I was a second year under-graduation student then. One day, after a delicious dinner at the Dominos pizza, I was on my way back home. Those were the days when I was using my Dad's 11 year old Bajaj Boxer bike. The speedometer of the bike doesn't know, how numbers beyond 40 kmph looked like. At a point in time, I realized that I had managed to fill my stomach with varieties of pizzas, whereas I failed to notice that my bike was hungry for fuel too !! I knew that there was a fuel station few metres ahead. And to my happiness, my purse was left with a single 50 rupees note even after the delicious dinner. Well, those were the days when we used to get petrol for Rs 20, Rs 30 etc. I was happily driving towards the fuel station, when a traffic sergeant stopped me. His thoughts, words and deeds signified, that he was hungry for money too !!!! 

Though I have not had attitude problem with anyone so far, I have always had altitude problems with many human beings and he was no exception of course. A short man (at least to me), with the major contributor to his body weight being his belly. 


He asked for the usual set of items.
     1.   License
     2.   Registration certificate.
     3.   Insurance
     4.   Pollution certificate. 
     5.   My whereabouts. 
    6.   My Dad's occupation and whereabouts (as the                 Registration certificate portrayed my dad as the                   bike's owner)

Finally he found that I had all documents to escape from him. I knew what he wanted from me was a very important document which he couldn't ask directly. 

Finally he looked at me and said... "Hmmm !!! Over speeding !!!!"

I wondered how could a 11 year old bike which had never crossed 40kmph in life could be accused for overspeeding. And then we entered a conversation.

Sergeant : Rs 300 fine for overspeeding.

What a hefty amount it is for a college student. Isn't it?

Myself : Sir !! I dont have such a huge amount.

Sergeant : You dad works in a bank and you say 300 is huge. Ok, you are a student, I can reduce the fine for you. Rs 200.

Myself : 200 is something huge for me again. Please understand sir !!

The auction came down to 100, 75, and finally he said.....

Sergeant : Ok pa, you look like a decent student. I can give you concession. A small fine of Rs 50 would do. "Ayya kitta kuduthuttu kelambu" (which is the tamil equivalent for "Give it to sir and leave").

I knew I was left with one Rs 50 currency note, and if I give it to this guy, I can't reach home, as there was no fuel in my bike. But  I also knew that this guy is not going to leave me unless I contribute something to his pocket money. Let me try to manage somehow, I thought.

Myself : Sir !! Frankly speaking I don't even have the small amout that you are asking for !!

He seemed totally annoyed. His face turned red and he yelled back...

Sergeant : What else do you have in your purse. Open it !!!

He forced me to open my purse and after a great struggle, I showed him my wallet. He saw that it had Rs 50 in it

Sergeant : So you have Rs 50 and you lied that you don't have anything!!

Myself : Sir !! There is no fuel in my bike. If I give this 50 to you, I have to walk back home and also drag my bike instead of driving it.

Sergeant : Are you going to pay this small fine or shall I take a legal action.

I had no other option rather than donating him Rs 50. I did that. After that I didn't move an inch from that place.  I was standing there for sometime till the sergeant attended his other customers and came back to me once again

Sergeant : You have paid the fine. You may leave and why are you standing here still?

Myself : I told you earlier Sir !! I have only Rs 50 left and there is no fuel in my bike. How do you expect me to leave with no fuel in my bike.

The sergeant thought for a while. And exhibited his heights of honesty !!!

Sergeant : Ok thambi (which is the tamil equivalent for brother). Let me be "honest" with you. Let us share this amount. You take Rs 25 and I shall keep Rs 25. (Well I told eatrlier.. Those were the days when fuel was available for minimum cost as well)

And in his typical Indian accent he said "Tek the tonty paive rubees".

Well.... I didn't mind giving him the money. But I was terribly shocked when he used the word "honesty". People say that honesty is the best policy. I too agree. He made me say "Honesty - Wow !! what a policy" !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment