Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Miss you champions.


"Toastmasters.... Toastmasters....." Mathew kept yelling.
"If you are not going to stop speaking about Toastmasters, you will soon be a dead piece of meat", I replied

He kept on taking about this for a really long time, say six months. I was least bothered. He has gone mad with Toastmasters.
What is the outcome of toastmasters? Nothing, you will be able to speak well in public. It was a piece of cake for me.
I was not that bad in English, I have been only to English medium schools. So I can speak well. This is what my mind said. Finally to get Mathew out of my veins, I decided to attend one meeting. There was some competition on that day. I saw three people speaking, I was jaw dropped. I can never speak in front of public like that!!!!
By the end of the meeting I came to realize that I can deliver a speech like that. The first step to do that is to join. The very same day I was officially a Toastmaster.

My first step in toastmaster was to be a part of a demo meeting. There I volunteered to become a table topic speaker.
The topic was "Do you think pink colour is for girls?" I managed to speak for two minutes. TMOD said, "This is how a Toastmaster speaks." I was overwhelmed. That was my first time and I have not even done anything in Toastmasters, still he said I am a Toastmaster. The energy that I had, or the confidence that I gained for speaking two minutes is all because my mind kept on whispering "You are a Toastmaster".

From that day I was a part of the Champions family, I hardly missed any of the meeting or even demo meetings until I left TCS. After delivering my first speech, I got an opportunity to announce the 50th meeting of champions Toastmaster in ChennaiOne building. I was literally shivering and tensed. Suddenly an HR came and asked, "Who is going to announce? I will listen from the cabin and will give my feedback." I replied "That would be me." This made scared me more. After making an announcement I went back to her. She said, "No wonder, because you are a Toastmaster". I was overwhelmed again. The energy that I had, or the confidence that I gained for announcing is all because my mind kept on whispering "You are a Toastmaster".

I have delivered three speeches and all through the speeches, I felt my improvement. I guess its not a matter of becoming a DTM or delivering 100 speeches that matters. Its all about the courage that you gain when you call yourself a Toastmaster. The very moment I start to converse in English, my mind whispers "You are a Toastmaster".


"Toastmasters.... Toastmasters....." I kept yelling.
"If you are not going to stop speaking about Toastmasters, you will soon be a dead piece of meat", all my friends now reply this.

Now sitting in Melbourne at a temperature of 5 degree Celsius, I can’t sleep. I thought it was because of jetlag or the cold weather, but my mind kept on whispering "You are a Toastmaster, but now you miss champions and now you don’t have a club". I then realized that I will not be able to sleep until I become a part of Toastmasters. Anyways, I will not transfer my membership to any other club. It will be always in area G5, District 82, TCS Maitree Champions Toastmasters Club.
Miss you champions.........



3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful writing Rohit. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best Rohith. We would miss you too. I can understand your emotions after reading this !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let this spirit of writing, Toastmastering be alive...Never let it go!

    ReplyDelete